Settlement in the Town of Plymouth began after the government land survey was completed in 1835. The first parcel of land sold for settlement in 1845, to Cyrus Johnson. The early Town of Plymouth, which included the Town of Rhine, was organized on April 3, 1849. The Village of Plymouth was formed in 1852 after combining the separate villages of Quit-qui-oc and Plymouth. The village grew larger and it became known as “the Hub” due to its central location within the county and the junction of the Milwaukee Road and the Chicago & Northwestern Railroads. These railroad lines were constructed in 1859 between the Cities of Plymouth and Sheboygan Falls at the location of the present railroad. The geographical center of Sheboygan County is found within the Town of Plymouth, in Section 36.
After the Civil War, the amount of grain grown in the state decreased and dairy farming became the dominate farming type. Plymouth, in turn, became the cheese center of the United States and hosted the National Cheese Exchange in the late 1950’s. In 1968, the Town of Plymouth built a Town Hall/Fire Station, and in 1984 a fire department addition was built.